Employment Contract Tool
Australian Government Employer Contract Tool
Build your own employment contract, for an employee under Australia's Fair Work System, that is tailored to your business needs.
- Time to complete: approx. 30 minutes
- What you'll need: name of the industry award
- What you'll receive: upon completion, you'll be able to download your employment contract and a letter of offer in a Word document.
Who can use it?
This tool helps small business employers to make a basic employment contract that complies with workplace laws. Use it to create a contract for an employee under the national industrial relations system.
You can use it for full-time, part-time and casual employees who are covered by an award.
In the tool you'll find:
- conditions that you must provide to your employee
- optional clauses to help set expectations and protect your business.
To use this tool, you'll need to pay your employee an hourly or weekly wage. Salaries are not provisioned in the tool due to their complex requirements.
Know your award
As you work through this contract tool, you'll need to add details about your employee's terms and conditions. Users are guided to find these details in each section, but you'll need to know:
- the award
- the employee's classification level in the award.
If you're not sure what the award is, use the Fair Work Ombudsman's Find my award tool.
Please note that this tool is unsuitable for some types of workers. Visit https://employ.business.gov.au/ for more information or to start building a contract.